ICT and bilingual children

The Professional Experience context is located in an urban area in the capital of Malaysia. The population is mainly compound of Malay, Chinese and Indian. While Malay Language is the national language, and normally people speak Malay and their mother tongue. In this context, the society has a mixture of language and everyone is able to communicate with more than one language in daily life. Meanwhile English Language is a compulsory subject to be learnt in school, and majority of the children learn English as their second language. Every child can have their own home language which can be language or dialect. Therefore the children are trained to bilingual due to the environment that they experienced since they are young. In this context, the children are somehow have proved Bronfenbrenner’s view as he defined environment factors would influence and reflect on the children’s development (Santrock, 2009).

I always consider it as planning lesson and see this in a positive way. The children are manage to understand and communicate in more than one language (Malay, Mandarin & English). However, they can speak better than write. Thereby I see the chance of integrating ICT in classroom which aim to help the children develop their writing skill. To be able to write, they need to know how is the 26 alphabets look like, and how to spell word that they have learnt. By the way, I have spotted a list of useful links from Mrs Frintzilas, who shares about spelling with ICTs. Spelling can be fun!

Firstly, I would like to introduce them Microsoft Word and slowly to tweet or blog. (I have seen young children use Twitter and it is fantastic!) They were requested to type out their name on the screen. Some children have adequate skill of typing while some have lack of skill in typing words using keyboard.

Reference

Santrock, J. W. (2009). Child development (12th ed., McGraw-Hill International ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.